Turning your roof into a power bank: All you need to know
The potential: current market situation
As per study, rooftop solar today is the fastest growing renewable energy sub-sector in our country. The installed capacity of solar rooftop augmented from 117 MW to 1250 MW from the period between 2013 to 2016.
The current market trend suggests that businesses are seeking for sustainable energy to solve long term power issues.The increasing environmental crisis has been one of the major reasons behind opting for solar rooftop solutions for businesses. Apart from this, Government policies, subsidies, lower market price and tax policies are considered to be the biggest influencers behind increased adoption of rooftop PV panels in India.
The multiple benefits:
Solar power, including rooftop solar, has proven to be a strong driver of economic development. Businesses have started understanding the potential of the roof and are embracing rooftop solutions that provide multiple advantages in the long run.
The biggest advantage of having rooftop solar solutions is that they offer cost savings. In comparison to industrial and commercial tariff rates, the solar tariff rates are cheaper. Rooftop solar solutions also help businesses attain grid parity.
Electricity prices keep fluctuating from time to time making it difficult to calculate prices. But when it comes to power generated by solar rooftops, the price of the power generated can be calculated easily, even for the next 10 years. Investment in solar rooftops is hence a secured investment.
Reduced electricity bills:
Installing rooftop solar generates additional revenue by reducing power bills. This single time investment has a life expectancy of 25 years. In the long run, it proves to be more economical than conventional power.
Above all, having power generating units of their own, businesses become more flexible in terms of using energy. With smart planning, investment and implementation, rooftop solar systems enable a business to have access to independent long term power supply at minimum expenses.
Minimum maintenance cost:
As rooftop PV panels come with a minimum 25 years of life expectancy, these are durable and require minimal cleaning and maintenance. A garden hose to clean twice or four times in a year does not cost much.
Apart from generating electricity, solar rooftops can be used to heat water or supply hot water to buildings. They can also be used to run electric generators.
Reduces carbon footprint:
Solar panels use sunlight to generate electricity. So, they pose reduced threat to the environment in comparison to conventional sources of energy. They produce energy without emitting harmful gases. Thus it helps us reduce carbon footprint.
The feasibility: Factors to consider
In India, millions of commercial buildings and industrial factories have rooftops that receive ample sunlight throughout the year. There are several conditions that determine feasibility of a rooftop for generating power.
The necessary factors are as follows:
- Firstly, the property must have adequate space for solar installation. Besides, the site must be well built to hold a solar panel on the rooftop.
- Next, an energy audit must be done before installation. Determining regular electricity usage will help in choosing the type (on-grid, off-grid and hybrid) and capacity of the solar system to be installed.
- Choosing the suitable type of solar influences the annual expenditure. Costs vary from one system to another depending on different components like available space, sunlight, daily usage, type of RTS, etc. associated with them.
- Most importantly, the rooftop should face the sun during most of the time in a day. A south faced orientation is ideal for a panel in India to generate maximum outcome from sunlight. One must also check for potential hindrance like high rise buildings that might affect its maximum exposure to the sun.
- Large roof spaces can be easily utilised for elevated solar panels, creating a rainproof structure too.
When businesses need a reliable source of energy, you can count on solar rooftop solutions. With the help of green energy engineers and solar panel installers, build the right model for your commercial building, offices and factory complexes. They will also help you determine the number of kilowatts you want your system to generate taking your solar panel budget into consideration. A trusted solar EPC solution provider will help you design systems that adhere to rebates or incentives that you might use to make your installation process affordable.